On another note, today I made a trial run of Xander's birthday cake. I know that's weird, but I have something specific in mind that I want and I don't have a pan so I am making it up as I go. I'll post a picture of the final product when I make it for his birthday. Today's was ok, but I think I will make a few tweaks to the actual birthday cake. So, I used my 7 minute frosting on the cake and while I was making it I thought back to the first time I attempted that particular frosting. I'm sure most people reached an age where they realized that no one made their mom a birthday cake (unless she made it herself) and so as a young teenager (I'm not sure my exact age, but probably between 12 and 14) I decided to try and make my mom a cake while she and my dad were out. The cake turned out fine thanks to a cake mix, but when I tried to make frosting, the recipe I pulled was for 7 minute frosting. This particular recipe has to be made in a double boiler and mixed with the hand mixer. I think I tried to make it in a pan directly on the heat and just mixed it with a whisk. It was total liquid, but I put blue food coloring in it and poured it over the cake. I don't remember what the cake tasted like, but it looked crazy. I was so disappointed, but there wasn't time to make another one. My wonderful mother was so nice and thanked me and ate a piece (it must not have been too horrible tasting, but it was a little mushy), but she is a brave woman. The things you do for your kids, huh! Thanks mom, I love you!
4 comments:
I can't wait to see the final product. You better be practicing after your "making your mom a cake experience". Just kidding, knowing you it will be FANTASTIC and CUTE!!
I can't wait to see the final product of the cake too! Thanks for the recipe I always love getting new ideas to try!
I totally don't remember that cake you made mom. I wonder if anyone took a picture of it? I'm totally looking forward to Xander's party!
Too funny about the cake! So cute! Can't wait to see Xander's!
Post a Comment