Thursday, September 11, 2008

Fixed Video

I'm not sure what the problem was with the video clip I put in my last post, but I fixed it I think (it's unfixed now). Also, these are not from random speeches.  All of McCain's quotes are from his acceptance speech at the Democratic National Convention and I believe Bush's are from his nomination speech as well. If you look at the clothes and the backgrounds you'll see that they don't change (except for the color change on the screen in McCain's, but same clothes). The context is they are talking about what they will do if they are elected to the office of president. I believe that in America we do like our freedoms and I also believe that Democrats have been know to push social programs, so if Obama should be considered a socialist because of the programs he wants to implement I guess maybe all Democrats are socialists/marxists using that narrow definition. Francois lived in Russia for 2 years and he can tell you about a true socialist/communist state. Which programs should we get rid of so we don't have to be socialists? Medicare, medicaid, unemployment, WIC, foster care, welfare, social security, child and family services, public education, etc..... (yes I know some of these are state programs, but still government regulated and controlled and paid for by taxpayers). Some elected official sometime made these programs happen, they were not in place when our country was founded.  Why not take a look at some of the problems in our country and try to do something about it?  Sorry if this is a long rant, but I'm a little tired of the criticizing that occurs without any offers of solutions or a better alternative.  It's really hard these days to get a true picture of candidates because most of the news programs seem to lean one way or the other.  If you are just watching one side it's really hard to get a true picture. You have to take both of them with a grain of salt and try to find the truth somewhere in the middle.  I just want to say that I know that The Daily Show leans strongly toward the Democratic side and I do not always agree with the show. I just thought this clip was funny and I do really feel that John McCain has shown he is a lot like Bush in certain ways, which is understandable because they are from the same party.   
I feel like I am very blessed to live in this country and especially today when we all remember the horrendous things that happened on that fateful 9/11 seven years ago. I pray that whoever wins this election will also remember and not just set about to try to spread democracy, but to catch and prosecute those who are still free who are responsible for that day. 
P.S. I realized I didn't explain that some of this is in response to a comment from my last post so if you haven't read the comment it may not make complete sense. Feel free to check it out, or just ignore it all together. Have a great day!

10 comments:

christine said...

Lori, you are entitled to put up your political opinions on your blog cause its YOUR BLOG!

The clip was just a joke, there's no need for people to take it so seriously! :)

I disagree with the statement that Democrats must be socialist/marxist cause they push social programs. I think they just prefer to actually get something back for all their tax dollars they give to the government!!

christine said...

You've changed what you said---I understand now. Sorry if I misinterpreted.

Lori Ann said...

Sometimes things make sense in my head but when I write it down it doesn't quite translate. So, I did a little editing after your comment because I thought I should be more clear as to my meaning. I really don't think that Democrats are socialists, they just believe that the government does need to create programs to help people. It's just hard to know how far to go with those programs without overstepping.

Jay said...

I never said all Democrats are socialists, Barack Obama however is a Socialist pretty close to marxist.

Lori Ann said...

Jay, I know you never said that all democrats are socialists, my point was that they believe in social programs and the only reasoning I have seen for you to call him a socialist is his social programs. Hence, if he is, then they all must be by that definition. What is it that he wants to implement that make him a socialist/marxist in your opinion? Glenn Beck in calling him a socialist/marxist referenced his universal healthcare plan and reforming the education system. Why does that make him a socialist?

christine said...

Again I think you are making a huge generalization about Obama. He is far from the Communist you accuse him of being. If universal health care makes a country communist/marxist then nearly every industrialized country would then have to be included (America is the only industrialized country with no universal health care). What about the fire, police dept and schools? Something obviously has to be done for health care as 47 million are w/out insurance & the USA is the only country in the world where people go bankrupt over medical costs. I respect your opinions jay and this is the last i'll say on the subject---but I completely disagree w/you.

Jay said...

You want examples of socialism/marxism besides health care (a whole other discussion) How about this one: “We cannot continue to rely only on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives that we’ve set. We’ve got to have a civilian national security force that’s just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded.” -Barack Obama

http://wap.chicagotribune.mlogic3g.
com/news.jsp?key=166447&rc=na_wo&p
=3

So now we need a civilian national security force huh? Is the military not pulling it's weight? Sounds to me like brown shirts.

http://en.wikipedia.org
/wiki/Sturmabteilung

Hope those links work for you.

Jay said...

Let me know if you want more.

christine said...

As I've said before, I'm not going to get into a discussion about this w/you jay. i've said more than i should have done anyway & don't think bashing political candidates is really the spirit lori would like on her blog. you are entitled to your opinions as i am too and this is my final word on the topic.

Lori Ann said...

Yeah, I really don't want to get into the issue of public health care with you Jay. I did find the article about a civilian national security force very interesting. My question for you is, did you read it in context of the speech, or just the small quote found in the article? He wants to expand AmeriCorps, and the Peace Corp and create new Corps for various things like health care, education, etc. I honestly don't think he'll be able to 1. find the funding, or 2. get congress to actually help him create all of that. I am concerned over the wording he used and it is curious that he hasn't clarified that statement and that no one has really asked him to. Thanks for the links.