Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Avocado Chicken Pitas


I love, love, love these and they would be really easy to customize for your kids with things they like. I've added bacon, which is really good; but you could use a tomato sauce and different toppings if you wanted.  And you can use grilled chicken instead of the rotisserie chicken if you wanted to save some money. 

TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min.

4 whole pita breads
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
3/4 pound cooked rotisserie chicken (skin removed), cut into strips
1 medium tomato, chopped
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Directions:
Brush one side of each pita bread with oil. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until browned and crisp.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mash the avocado with lemon juice, salt, garlic powder and hot pepper sauce. Spread over pitas. Layer with chicken, tomato and cheese. Bake for 5-6 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.

5 comments:

Emily said...

Yummy, I am going to try this!

Lauren said...

Wow, good job(on the food and the photo), that looks like it's straight out of a good cooking magazine. I'm sure you enjoyed it!

Lori Ann said...

The photo is from a cooking magazine! I just copied and added it with the recipe.

Lauren said...

Oh, well that would explain it! LOL

Tricia said...

It is so funny that you posted this recipe. I was going to post it too! I'm so glad you introduced us to it! Love you!