This is one of the cookies that I make every year. I'm not sure why I only make them at Christmas time, but they are a really yummy version of a thumbprint cookie.

(photo from Google images)
Choco-Caramel Delights
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 egg, separated
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup finely chopped pecans
Caramel Filling
14 unwrapped caramels
3 tablespoons whipping cream
Chocolate Drizzle
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon shortening
- In a small mixing bowl, beat sugar, butter, egg yolk, milk, and vanilla until blended. Stir together flour, cocoa, and salt; blend into butter mixture. Chill dough at least 1 hour or until firm enough to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease cookie sheets. Beat egg white slightly. Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Dip each ball into egg white; roll in pecans to coat. Place 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheet. Press thumb gently in center of each ball (I like to use a round measuring spoon instead of my thumb).
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until set. While cookies bake, prepare Caramel filling by combining caramels and whipping cream in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until caramels are melted and mixture is smooth.
- After removing cookies from the oven press center of each cookie again with thumb to make indentation. Immediately spoon about 1/2 teaspoon caramel filling in center of each cookie. Carefully remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small microwave safe bowl combine chocolate chips and shortening. Microwave on high 1 minute or until softened; stir. Allow to stand several minutes to finish melting; stir until smooth. Place waxed paper under wire racks with cookies. Drizzle chocolate mixture over top of cookies. Makes about 2 dozen cookies.
2 comments:
sound delightful...all my favorite things (caramel, chocolate, pecans) in one!
I have lots of extra pecans at my house if you want some! I guess I know what I'll be using some of them for!
Post a Comment