Friday, December 12, 2008

Recipe Extravaganza Recipe #5 - Caramels

This is the yummiest caramel recipe and it's pretty easy to make, the hard work is wrapping them! The trick is to take them off the stove at the right time, usually it starts getting darker and that is your clue to check the mixture to see if it's at medium ball stage. This makes plenty to share with your friends and neighbors. My mom gets requests for these every year!
(image from here where they also have yummy buckeye pictures: see bottom of blog for buckeye recipe)
Caramels

2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups light Karo syrup
1 cup butter
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla

Cook first 4 ingredients at medium temperature. Stir all the time until medium ball stage. Add vanilla. Pour into buttered 9x13 pan. Cool. Wrap in waxed paper.



4 comments:

Shauna said...

YUM! Thanks for sharing! I'm new here! What a great blog :)

Shelly B. said...

MMMmmm. I love caramels and buckeyes! ;)

christine said...

I used to eat BAGS of caramels, but then I got dental crowns and they aren't good for my teeth.

Tricia said...

I can't believe you shared our super secret family recipe(that we got from someone else)! We have already made two batches this year and I'm making another one tomorrow!