Thursday, April 15, 2010

Favorite Dinner, Easter Suit, and a Blue Tongue

Did the title make you curious? It's really creative, I know......

This is a picture of one of my favorite things to make for dinner. I don't make it as often as I should, but it's pretty easy and super yummy.  I got the recipe from the Taste of Home Quick Cooking Magazine. I love that we can put whatever we want in it. I have done alfredo sauce and chicken instead of traditional pizza toppings and it's always delicious! I thought I had posted this recipe before, but I can't find it back in my old posts. Ta-dah!

Stromboli Ladder Loaf

Ingredients

  • 1-1/2 cups water (70° to 80°)
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 cups bread flour
  • 3 teaspoons active dry yeast

  • FILLING:
  • 3/4 cup pizza sauce
  • 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 egg white
  • 1 tablespoon water

Directions

  • In bread machine pan, place the first eight ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1-2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 15-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Place on a greased baking sheet.
  • Spread pizza sauce in a 3-in. strip lengthwise down the center of dough to within 2 in. of short ends. Arrange pepperoni over sauce; sprinkle with cheeses. On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips about 2-1/2 in. into center. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Pinch ends to seal.
  • Beat egg white and water; brush over dough. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 1 loaf (2 pounds).
Nutritional Analysis: 1 slice (prepared with turkey pepperoni and part-skim mozzarella) equals 259 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 554 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 lean meat, 1 fat.
Stromboli Ladder Loaf published in Quick Cooking January/February 2006, p10


Easter Suit
I tried to take pictures of Xander in his Easter suit, but he wasn't very cooperative. That may have had something to do with the fact that I waited until after church and we were all hungry and ready for a nap! But, here are the three pictures that I did get. I plan to try to take a good one at some point, but we're having too much fun enjoying the nice weather to even think about it this week!
This is the face I got when I asked him to smile. Show me those teeth, buddy!
And finally, Blue Tongue....
Xander has been obsessed with these blue suckers they sell at Walmart. He's only actually had 3 of them, but every time we go there he asks for one. I just like the blue tongue he gets when he eats them!

4 comments:

Shelly B. said...

He's growing up so dang fast, Lori!

Roswitha said...

He is such a poser.....and so darn handsome....the blue tongue must remind him of the "Cookie Monster" maybe? That recipe also looks so yummy! You'll have to try it out on us sometimes...

christine said...

like the easter suit.

The Desiree said...

Dude, how handsome is he in that suit! Little boys in suits are soooooo cute! Plus thanks for the recipe. All you need to give me now is the recipe for those little pie things and we will be set!